Add Your Heading Text Here

Country Music Legend, Patriot Toby Keith Succumbs to Stomach Cancer

Photo by Daniel Swartz

Country music legend Toby Keith succumbed to cancer early Tuesday, as reported on his official website and social media accounts. He was 62.

The icon revealed his battle with stomach cancer in June 2022, and said that he spent the past months undergoing chemotherapy, radiation treatment, and surgery.

He revealed his diagnosis on X and said: “Last fall I was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I’ve spent the last 6 months receiving chemo, radiation, and surgery. So far, so good. I need time to breathe, recover, and relax.”

“I am looking forward to spending this time with my family. But I will see the fans sooner than later. I can’t wait,” Keith concluded.

According to a post, the “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” singer died Monday night with his family.

“He fought his fight with grace and courage.”

The country star also shared in September that going through treatment is a “roller coaster” experience.

“You get good days and, you know, you’re up and down, up and down. It’s always zero to 60 and 60 to zero but I feel good today.”

And while battling his illness, Keith performed three nights in Las Vegas in December.

The singer remarked in an Instagram post, “3 sold-out shows in Vegas was a damn good way to end the year.”

Fans often thought his politics were complicated.

In 2017, the icon performed at Trump’s inauguration. This, even though other big stars refused the MAGA leader’s invitation to perform at the Lincoln Memorial.

The icon clarified his performance in an interview, saying that his decision to perform was a matter of acting his duty as a citizen rather than tacit support for Trump.

Keith further said: “the president of the frickin’ United States asks you to do something and you can go, you should go instead of being a jack-off.”

He also reiterated his support for America and not for any politician or political party. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the country singer remarked, “I don’t apologize for performing for our country or military.”

“I performed at events for previous presidents [George W.] Bush and Obama and over 200 shows in Iraq and Afghanistan for the USO.”

Keith was a Democrat until 2008 when he claimed and re-registered as an independent.

In 2016 he said, “I was a Democrat my whole life. They kind of disowned me when I started supporting the troops, then I went and registered independent.”

“I’ve never been a registered Republican. It just keeps people off balance. They don’t know what to think.”

Keith, despite his criticisms of Trump during the 2016 presidential race, praised parts of the former president’s performance in the executive branch, particularly his work with military generals as advisers.

He also dismissed the “grab ’em by the p***” remark and said, “Guys talk like that everywhere.”

He added, “Bill Clinton, everyone was on him about getting a BJ.”

“I was like, ‘It doesn’t affect the way he’s running the country.”

By 2021, Trump awarded Keith with the National Medal of Arts.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from The Freedom Front

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading