Add Your Heading Text Here

JD Vance Defends Trump’s Executive Order Challenging Birthright Citizenship on CBS’s Face the Nation

Washington, D.C. – November 28, 2025 – In a contentious interview on CBS’s Face the Nation, Vice President JD Vance vigorously defended President Donald Trump’s recent executive order aimed at ending automatic U.S. citizenship for children born to undocumented immigrants or individuals on temporary visas. The order—already triggering widespread debate and legal challenges—seeks to reinterpret the 14th Amendment’s citizenship clause by prioritizing what Vance described as the rights of American citizens over those of non-citizens.

During the interview, Vance argued that the policy mirrors practices common in many other countries, where children born to tourists or temporary visitors do not automatically receive citizenship. “This is about putting American citizens first,” Vance said, emphasizing that the United States should not grant “automatic rights” to the children of people who are not permanent residents. He noted that countries such as France, Germany, and Australia impose similar restrictions, suggesting that Trump’s order aligns the U.S. with global norms rather than marking a radical departure.

The exchange underscored deep partisan divides over immigration policy and constitutional interpretation. Host Margaret Brennan pressed Vance on the legality of the executive order, pointing out that it has already been blocked in several courts. Critics argue that the 14th Amendment—which states that “all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens”—unequivocally guarantees birthright citizenship regardless of parental status. Vance countered that the phrase “subject to the jurisdiction” excludes children of undocumented parents or visa holders, a position long advanced by some conservative legal scholars but rejected by most constitutional experts.

Vance also linked the policy to broader immigration reforms, stressing the need for stronger enforcement against criminals and more rigorous vetting of refugees. “We’re not against immigration; we’re against chaos,” he said, referencing recent border security measures implemented by the Trump administration. He argued that ending birthright citizenship for certain groups would reduce incentives for “birth tourism” and help ease the strain on public resources.

The executive order, signed by President Trump earlier this month, has sparked protests from immigrant rights organizations and prompted legal battles that could ultimately reach the Supreme Court. Democratic leaders have condemned it as unconstitutional and discriminatory, while supporters praise it as a necessary step to protect national sovereignty. As the debate continues, Vance’s appearance on Face the Nation highlights the administration’s determination to advance its agenda despite mounting opposition.

This development comes amid a flurry of immigration-related actions from the White House, including expanded deportation efforts and revisions to asylum policies. Analysts predict that the birthright citizenship controversy will remain a major flashpoint in the months ahead, potentially shaping the midterm elections and influencing the national conversation about America’s identity as a nation of immigrants.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from The Freedom Front

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading